Polyamory in the News
. . . by Alan M.



November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving advice on bringing multiples home to the folks


Sierra Black, now a Huffington Post Women contributor, presents a timely article on bringing additional partners to the folks for family holidays (or not), and managing things once they're there.



Thanksgiving Advice: How To Bring Your Boyfriend Home For The Holidays -- When You're Polyamorous


One year, several years ago, I asked my mom if I could bring my then-boyfriend home for Thanksgiving. He didn't have local family to celebrate with and I thought it'd be nice to spend the day together.

"I think that would make me and your stepfather very uncomfortable," she said.

It's not that she didn't like my boyfriend. It's just that I'm happily married to someone else, and having my boyfriend and my husband both there for the holidays seemed like a bit much to her.

I decided not to push it. I went home for a family dinner with my husband and kids, and met up with my boyfriend at my place afterwards. We had dessert together, and it was lovely.

Did I do the right thing?...


Read on (Nov. 20, 2012). And join the comments there; they need help.

To my mind Black consistently combines good values, good sense, and good writing. Here are all her articles mentioned on this site (including this one; scroll down).

[Permalink]

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Jim said...

Ohh, I shouldn't have read the comments...

November 21, 2012 10:55 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I summarized the comments here

http://partnersinpolyamory.com/2012/11/huffpo-commenters-apparently-dont-like-polyamorous-holiday-cheer/

November 21, 2012 6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the comments on that article are pretty negative. Some supporters of poly are commenting, but way too many commenters are giving their opinion on something they don't understand or -want- to understand. Close to hateful.

And I was just wanting to read about who else was going to have a pleasant thanksgiving with family and extended family and partners... My quad of sixteen years is off to dinner with some of the in-laws today. I hope that others have a price and drama-free day!

November 22, 2012 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Lucius Scribbens said...

The Internet gives people a way to judge and berate others in a way they never would face-to-face. I have to remind myself that those living honestly and integrity are far above the hateful anonymous comments left by bigots with small minds on Internet comment boards.

November 22, 2012 11:21 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

FWIW, I left a long and positive comment on the site, and after it was up for a while a HuffPo moderator removed it. Maybe because it expressed surprise at the supposedly sophisticated HuffPo readers not seeming to know about a current topic. (Thanx Lucius for the heads-up.)

If some HuffPo moderator is selectively removing positive comments, that would explain things.

Alan M.

November 22, 2012 11:39 AM  
Blogger Anita Wagner Illig said...

Lucius, my thoughts exactly. And Alan - wow. I guess I'm being naive to be surprised by this idea - I just don't want to believe that happens. Sigh. But it's Huffington Post we're talking about, I expect better standards.

November 23, 2012 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home